Thursday, January 13, 2011

Petticoats Please - FAIL

I saw the "Petticoats Please" tutorial on BurdaStyle and decided to give it a try because I've been needing to make one anyways...  I downloaded the instructions, measured my tulle, and began to cut.  Only problem is, I didn't read ALL of the instructions before beginning!!!!  PLUS my brain just isn't working today!!!!  Snip, snip, snip.  Forgot to add seam allowances.  Chop, chop, chop.  Didn't realize the first layer was supposed to be cotton.  Oops.

But of course, crafters don't just throw away a botched project!  I have succeeded in salvaging it.  I'm very proud.

One huge lesson I've learned throughout my years of crafting is never give up.  If things don't work out the way you planned, be flexible!  Be creative!  That's the point of crafting.

Tips for Taming the Tulle (haha)
  • Weight the corners with something
  • Work on a surface that is contrasting in color with the tulle
  • When cutting a straight line, just fold it in half again and again until you have a shorter piece to cut
  • Good lighting!  That shit is hard see
  • Gathering all that tulle and making it even is a bitch...use a higher tension setting on your machine (I used a 5 on mine) and it will gather the tulle for you
I didn't put any satin ribbon on it because I didn't have any :[   I did have some sparkly purple ruffly trim. Unfortunately, not enough!  I'll have to order more [I got it from I Love Cookie Party].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.