Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Thrift Store Find: Feraud Pencil Skirt

I'm piecing together the history of a lonely cream pencil skirt I found at Salvation Army a couple of weeks ago...

My Chicano studies class was dismissed early, and on the trolley ride home I decided to take a detour.  I had always wanted to visit the thrift stores hidden in Point Loma--today was perfect because I was itching to get out of the house.  I got off the bus at an unfamiliar station, and made my way to the Salvation Army entrance, feeling unsure of myself.  I thought of all the beautiful vintage stuff for sale on Etsy--would I be lucky enough to spot a gem?
I looked through my usual sections--dresses, blouses, skirts--for any unusual prints or bright colors [love].  But what I found was soft cream wool.  The moment I felt that fabric, I knew it was a quality garment I was touching.  This is one reason why I love vintage--every piece has a history, a story to tell. In this case, I didn't have to just imagine its history.
I looked up Louis Feraud on Google and found that he was a couture designer who had begun creating pieces in France in the 1950's. He met Brigitte Bardot and designed some of the costumes for her movies. He presented his couture collections in Paris, alongside Balenciaga and Lanvin.
I feel honored to have one of his pieces in my vintage collection! I don't know what year the skirt is from, but it says Made in West Germany, which indicates that it was made before the destruction of the Berlin Wall. The skirt is made of a lightweight wool and is fully lined with cream satin. There is a small 3.5" slit in the left side at the bottom. It zips and buttons in the back, and it's in beautiful condition.
Waist: 26"
Hips: 35"
Length: 26"
Width at Bottom: 38"
Zipper Length: 8"
You can buy it in my Etsy shop .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.