Thursday, June 17, 2010

Book

I just finished reading this book and it is very morbid, of course.  Detailed things about what people do, and have done through history, with dead bodies.  Needless to say, it is not for the squeamish. 

Some notable chapters:
Crimes of Anatomy: Body snatching and other sordid tales from the dawn of human dissection
Holy Cadaver: Crucifixion experiments
Just A Head: Decapitation, reanimation, and the human head transplant
Eat Me: Medicinal cannibalism and the case of the human dumplings

The author, Mary Roach, is candid and by no means euphemistic.  This book kind of upset me in some places (reanimation and cannibalism), but curiosity kept me going.  Really, don't read this if you are easily offended or upset.  It is very unorthodox and kind of sacriligious.  That being said, I enjoyed it because I love biology and gross stuff. 

I've become morbid and fascinated by death ever since I took this religious studies class at school called Death, Dying, and Afterlife taught by Professor Rebecca Moore.  The class was awesome and even made me cry a couple of times, due to my recent close encounter with death.  It was an awesome class, taught by an awesome person, and it has changed my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.